Laura's at Bible study and I'm flipping through our ten channels not finding anything to watch. Here are some random thoughts I'm having right now.
1) I know this makes me a total tool, but I'm kind of in love with the new Starbucks Clover coffee. It's basically this new machine Starbucks has that brews a single serving of coffee specifically calibrated to each specific bean. I'm sure it's a bunch of crap, but I have to admit that it tastes really really good. It costs about $3.00 for a cup of coffee, which it utterly obscene, and the only reason I buy it is I have a gift card in my wallet and I hardly ever go to Starbucks anymore. I only have enough on my card for about 3 more cups though, so that will probably be it for me.
2) As I'm sure anyone who's reading this knows, Laura has been preparing for a talk she's giving on money at the Winter Conference. She gave the talk last Thursday, and it really got me thinking of how I relate to money. Laura and I had very different upbringings and inherited very different perspectives on money. Since being in a relationship with Laura, I've found myself adopting a lot of her perspectives on money (mainly because, for the most part, they are a lot healthier and practical), but I feel like I'm becoming cognizant of a lot of the downsides as well. The biggest way this is becoming apparent is that I feel like I'm a lot less generous than I was back in the day (which is ironic seeing as I have more money now than I did as a college student). I realize that part of this derives from having more expenses and thus less "available" money, but even that little bit I have I find myself clinging to. I'm much more reluctant to part with that money, ESPECIALLY if I'm buying something for someone else. I can see how it's good that I'm prioritizing getting myself out of debt, but I still fear heading down this road of hoarding money.
3) I really miss having close friends here in Boston. Laura and I are making friends here, but every time we go to our community group, I can't help but think that we'll probably never reach the same level of friendship with them that we have with friends from NYC. Of course, I understand that that's just a part of life and that I'll probably always feel that way simply because our friends from college walked with us through the hardest parts of our lives thus far. It still kind of sucks though.
4) I hate, hate, hate The Bachelor.
5) The iPhone commercials they showed during The Office yesterday made me really want to get an iPhone (or at least an iPod Touch). Those apps looked SO COOL!
6) I'm so glad January is over. I'm definitely in a winter funk right now and I'm so ready for summer to come.
Monday, February 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
#2- I have been dealing with that too. Ever since xaris sat me down and made me a budget, I feel like now I'm really worried about hoarding my money because I realize I don't have as much as I always thought I did.
And as far as the stinking bachelor.... AGREED.
The only thing that sucks about the iPod Touch is the inability to access the internet, unless you're around an accessible wireless network. With an iPhone, you always have internet as long as you have service.
Nonetheless, the apps are really life-changing. Ex: there is a "mint.com" app, which is a website Xaris introduced me to for personal budgeting. It's pretty amazing.
I think one of the advantages of obeying God regarding tithing/giving money to the poor/etc. is that it keeps us from becoming hoarders. Even though it's still a balance, I've found it impossible to keep the perspective of wanting to save all or most of my money for myself when I'm keeping in mind that it's all God's, and giving away what I've decided I should. And sometimes more. But always with the right attitude, which for me is not only to not do it begrudgingly, but gladly and do it first. For example, I often literally write my tithe check to church first. And I don't allow myself to think about what I could be doing with the money that I've set aside to give away. If I did I'd be too tempted not to give it.
But I love The Bachelor. Even though I admit it's absolutely terrible in so many ways. But I love it and watch it. And enjoy it. And often cringe.
Post a Comment