It's no secret that Laura and I love movies and TV. We spend many evenings on the couch watching the latest Netflix movie we've received. Lately, though, we've taken a stronger interest in TV shows. We're in the middle of about 8 right now, and it's been interesting comparing and contrasting which ones we prefer. We've come to the realization that when it comes to TV, I prefer witty shows and Laura prefers shows that make her think. Thus, I like The Office and Arrested Development and she doesn't, and she likes Heroes and Law and Order and I don't.
One show we BOTH like, though, is Big Love. Seriously, I don't know how I've gone this long without watching this show. It is SO funny and thought-provoking at the same time. And contrary to my expectations, it really portrays polygamy in a "fair" light. It shows both the positive and negative aspects of it, which has been intriguing.
On a completely different note, I've been reading some interesting books with the students I meet with. One book that I'm already digging is "The Call" by Os Guinness. I've only read the first chapter, but it's already given me a lot to think about. The quote that has really stuck with me is that in modern Western culture, "we have too much to live with and too little to live for" and that for most believers, we are rich in material goods but spiritually bankrupt. Of course, this is stuff we've all heard and thought about before, but I've never quite tied the idea of materialism to that of God's calling in our lives. I'm so excited to explore this issue further and hopefully gain some perspective on my future...
Which, of course, is up in the air again. We got to spend some extensive time with Vic Black, The Navigators' National Prayer Director, a few weeks ago, and he brought up a lot of potential options for our future. And although I'm still pretty certain I want to pursue a higher degree in Psychology, it's been cool to think about ways that could tie into remaining with The Navs. I certainly never thought I'd be with The Navs long-term, but it's certainly something to think about, especially with the vision that Vic cast for us.
With that, I'm off to watch some more Big Love with the wife :)
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You know what other show you would both like?
The West Wing.
Just sayin.
Post a Comment